- Loyola Blakefield won the Maryland preps championships a week ago and carried that trophy to the annual Prep Easterns tournament this past weekend. The tournament is a two-division affair featuring the best preparatory schools from throughout the East. This year the competition was divided between Annapolis, Maryland and Lawrenceville, NJ. Philadelphia’s William Penn Charter took the “A” Division title at the Naval Academy on Saturday beating the Maryland champions after finishing fifth in 2013. Lawrenceville leveraged its home-pool advantage in New Jersey to beat Maryland’s Landon School in the “B” final, 16-11.
- The last of the elite California boys’ prep tournaments ended in San Jose on Saturday with a surprise winner. Coronado defeated Sacred Heart Prep in the final of the Bellarmine-based NorCal Tournament, 15-13, after a string of impressive wins over high quality opponents including Clovis, Corona del Mar, Foothill, and Menlo. Sacred Heart was widely considered to be the third best team in California behind Harvard-Westlake and Mater Dei and may still be so. ‘Nado and the strong San Diego programs have mostly evaded this autumn’s discussion about the top teams in the state. The NorCal win, and an earlier-week defeat of rivals Bishop’s, should at least propel the Islanders to the top of the San Diego rankings and fairly places them among the most threatening teams in the entire state.
- In Atherton, Sacred Heart hosted the highly regarded NorCal Tourney for girls. San Ramon Valley entered the completion heavily favored, featuring perhaps the most coveted collegiate recruit in the US, Kat Klass. Thus the excitement over the semi-surprising performance of fellow East Bay powerhouse Campolindo whose girls left with a 7-5 championship victory. The two are defending CIF-North Coast Section champions, San Ramon Valley for Division 1, Campolindo in Division 2.
- The Michigan state boys’ prep championship field is set. Regional championships were completed on Saturday. Seedings for the final tournament, to be held at East Kentwood on Nov. 14-15, put top-ranked Rockford and Skyline in the top spots. Okemos, Pioneer, Grand Haven, Hudsonville, Zeeland and Huron complete the brackets.
- A few other items left over from the week previous:
- Oregon’s Newberg traveled to Modesto, CA and placed second at the DeLong Tournament, falling to Granite Bay in the final, 6-4, on October 25. The result was the best for the Oregon squad since 2008.
- The Harvard-Westlake boys continued their undefeated streak winning the North/South Challenge on October 25 in a two-goal victory over Mater Dei (again). Loyola of Los Angeles finished third.
- Orange County’s JSerra took home the trophy from the Canyon Tournament on the 26th as they tweeted below.
Coronado Islanders take the Memorial Cup with an impressive 15-13 win over Sacred Heart Prep in championship game — Colin Mello (@BellsPoloCoach) November 2, 2014
You might also like: TWp Whiteboard: Harvard Starts Strong, St. Francis Stumbles, Big Margins for Top Squads